Monday, June 14, 2010

DIY Laundry Room Makeover

First, I have to say I love, love, love my "new" laundry room. We started with this crappy, tiny laundry room layout that is just completely inefficient to do anything in but wash and dry clothes. Because of the layout, you really couldn't take something out of the dryer and fold it right then and there. Instead, with everyone busy working and 3 kids and all the chaos, it was "easier" to pull the load out of the dryer and throw it in an area to fold later (yeah sure...15 loads later). Thanks to YoungHouseLove, who had the same layout, I was able to change my laundry room to be more functional, organized, and even a cute little room for around $100.

Before:



After:

(I still need to touch up the paint on the door, baseboards, etc.)  We added the  bamboo Roman shades and a plywood cut to size (with our new jig saw) for a folding area, and I painted the room.



I added some cheap art for an extra touch to make it more of a room.  

I don't have a laundry door because it broke years ago.  I have taken other doors off in the past (Viggo's closet) on purpose because the tracking was annoying and it, if kept neat, looked much better and made the room bigger.  A lot of the inspiration rooms purposely take off doors for more of an open-living environment. One of our linen closets was built without a door.  The closet doors in my office are having the same track problem as Viggo's, so they will be coming off too (as well as the linen closet in the master bath just because).  I guess we were one step ahead (thanks, kids, because we know you are the ones who broke our doors....)


1 comment :

  1. It looks great! I can't wait to see future improvements!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips